*Article by Payton Stoppel
For many kids in the livestock industry, summer "break" is only a break from the classroom. Summer kicks off countless hours spent in the barn working on stock and preparing to hit the road to show off their hard work.
Many of us are familiar with county fairs that take place during summer months but there’s also several junior associations that organize events to compete on a national level.
These events, Junior Nationals, allow youth to not only exhibit their livestock for evaluation but often include many team events from fitting and quiz bowl to individual contests like skillathons or public speaking, just to name a few.
Predominately with breeding cattle, each year comes a new location for these junior shows. Finding a location to house all the livestock being exhibited is typically a priority but they also relocate to try to cater towards people from each region. But regardless of the location, some families are dedicated to traveling to any location, some years you may drive 4 hours to the show or may drive 15+ hours to be in attendance.
More importantly than the competitions, these events allow youth to make countless memories with family and friends from across the nation. Families often fondly refer to these week-long trips as a “showcation” (show vacation) they look forward to each year. Interested in attending a show to see what all the fun is about? Here are some of the events taking place this summer!
- National Boer Goat Show | June 8 - June 12 in Grand Island, Nebraska
- THE EXPOSITION JUNIOR SHOW (Hogs) | June 13-19, 2021 in Indianapolis, Indiana
- Braunvieh Junior Nationals | June 14 - June 19 in Texarkana, Texas
- Maine-Anjou & Chianina National Junior Show | June 19 - June 24 in Chickisha, Oklahoma
- AIJCA Junior National (Charolais) | June 20 - June 25 in Perry, Georgia
- AJGA Junior Classic (Gelvieh) | June 20 - June 25 in Battesville, Mississippi
- National Junior Red Angus Event | June 20 - June 26 in Lebanon, Tennessee
- National Junior Shorthorn Show | June 20 - June 26 in Louisville, Kentucky
- Miniature Hereford Junior National | June 21 - June 27 in Chillicothe, Missouri
- Saler Junior National | June 27 - June 30 in Washington, Iowa
- AJSA National Classic (Simmental) | June 26 - July 2 in Grand Island, Nebraska
- Branham Junior Nationals | June 27 - July 3 in Hattiesburg, Texas
- Junior National Hereford Expo | July 3 - July 9 in Kansas City, Missouri
- National Junior Limousin Show | July 3 - July 9 in Grand Island, Nebraska
- National Junior Angus Show | July 10 - July 17 in Grand Island, Nebraska
- Beefmaster Junior Nationals | July 17 - July 23 in Belton, Texas
- Brangus Junior Nationals | July 27 - August 1 in Belton, Texas
Click the button below to read related livestock stories.